Tel: +1.435-767-8447 Hours: By Appointment
Located on Utah's scenic Highway 89 just 55 miles south of Provo and 20 miles north of Manti, Pleasant Manor is surrounded by sweeping, pastoral countryside and rolling hills in the quaint hamlet of Mt. Pleasant. It is conveniently situated for visits to the Manti Temple, Mormon Miracle Pageant, Wasatch Academy, Spring City art colony, Snow College, Skyline Drive, Maple Canyon and diverse, outdoor activities of Sanpete County. These include rock climbing, golfing, fishing, biking, hiking, horseback riding, four-wheeling, mountain picnics, ATV riding, range shooting, seasonal hunting, drive-in theater going (summer months only) and more.
Story and Clark upright piano from 1908
The ivories love to be tickled
Ceiling fixtures with a pedigree
A chandelier of polished brass with an art deco ceiling medallion
Glass with class
Carefully transported in the horse and buggy era.
The hand-carved oak was scarce then and rare now.
‣ Works of Art on Paper
‣ 19th Century photographs
‣ Historic artwork
‣ Antiques & Furniture
‣ Frames & Gilded Objects
Please visit our photo gallery under the Services tab
Art lovers, rejoice!
Bed & Breakfast Rooms and Suites
Scenic sites near Pleasant Manor
From its earliest days, Pleasant Manor was a favored accommodation for government officials and religious leaders alike, and is still perhaps the most readily recognized architectural landmark in Mt. Pleasant. It was designed by Eliza Maria Tidwell Larsen and build by her husband, James Larsen, in 1897. It contains exquisite examples of pioneer art, including a hand-carved, oak staircase; wall and ceiling murals by 19th Century artist Carl Anderson, whose artwork is also found inside the Manti Temple; and beautifully beveled and stained glass in the entry, parlor, dinning room and select second-floor bedrooms.
The heart of Pleasant Manor is the parlor fireplace which is a masterpiece of cherry-wood carving, bevel-cut mirrors and imported, cobalt-glazed tiles, all dating from the 1800s. Sit on the parlor sofa or antique, needle-point chairs to view the elegant Story and Clark upright piano (circa 1908) and parlor display case. Pleasant Manor has pocket doors dividing the parlor from the dinning room, and dinning room from the den; and its original pine floors can be preserved through your conscientious care (please remove spiked heels before walking on them!). Since Utah's early pioneers had limited access to traditional hard woods such as oak, cherry and walnut, it was used sparingly; and historic artists took indigenous woods such and pine and fir, and their paint brushes, to create the appearance of rarer species. Many examples of this hand-painted marbling of wood dating from the 19th Century are found throughout the Manor. As Pleasant Manor received restorations and additions in the 20th and 21st Centuries, artists of our day continued to use the marbling technique, preserving the Manor's historic ambiance while expanding its ability to accommodate guests.
Stone pillars and porches are found outside the Manor's State Street and dinning room entries, and stone lintels are found above every exterior doorway and window of the original structure. The statue of the Larsen family's sheep dog is a tribute to their loyal and beloved canine; it is located adjacent to the dinning room porch, facing outward as if still keeping watch over the Manor's guests. Please help preserve these many unique and historic features by treating them gently.
The Larsen family resided in the Manor until 1949.